Museum exhibit /Panorama of the town of Iurga. Late 1940s- early 1950s. Photograph
Panoramic photograph of the workers’ settlement (after 1949 – town) of Iurga in Kemerovo oblast’, taken after the liquidation of the POW camp in 1948. In the foreground there is an area of vacant land where the barracks were located. Iurga was the location of one of the divisions of Camp No 526 (set up for the construction of Plant No.75 of the People’s Commissariat For Armaments in late 1944 – early 1945, closed in 1947-48). It held about 2,000 persons. The photograph was kept in an archive of documentary photographs in the museum of the Iurga Machine-building Plant, which was also partly built by prisoners. It was given to the Iurga Municipal Local History Museum in 2002. 
 
 
 
 
Creator of collectionMuseum of the Yurga Machine-building Plant.
 
Date of acquisition2002
 
Thematic indexThe Camps
 
Date and place of creation1948
 
MaterialsPhotographic paper
 
Description of exhibitA black-and-white panorama of the settlement. In the foreground there is a large section of undeveloped land with no buildings on it. In the background to the left that is a long single-story building with a gable roof, the right side of the picture mostly shows two-storey houses with pyramidal roofs.
 
State of preservationUndamaged.
 
Detailed annotationA photograph of the former territory of the POW camp in Iurga, taken in summer 1948. In the foreground there is an area of vacant land where the barracks were located. The POW camp in Iurga (which held about 2,000 persons), was one of the divisions of Camp No 526, set up for the construction of Plant No.75 of the People’s Commissariat For Armaments in late 1944 – early 1945, closed in 1947-48. The photograph was kept in an archive of documentary photographs in the museum of the Iurga Machine-building Plant, which was also partly built by prisoners. It was given to the Iurga Municipal Local History Museum in 2002. It is likely that the photograph was taken shortly after the closure of the camp and the demolition of the barracks. Among the other documentary photographs from the archive of the Machine-building plant that were given to the Local History Museum are a number that are “Panorama of the Workers’ Settlement of Iurga”. It is obvious that they were all taken by the same photographer at the same time and constitute a series of pictures that make up a general panorama of the settlement. This throws doubt on the Museum’s dating this photograph “1948”; it is possible that the date “1948” on the photograph ought to be interpreted not as the date the picture was taken, but as the date when POW camp was liquidated. It is also possible that the whole series was taken in 1948 and that the date “1950s” on the other photos is incorrect.
 
Web page?Yes
 
 
Museum exhibit /Panorama of the town of Iurga. Late 1940s- early 1950s. Photograph