Museum exhibit /“Severnyi gorniak” [“Northern Miner”] newspaper. 1935. No.26 (211).
The “Severnyi gorniak” [“Northern Miner”] newspaper was the organ of the Department for Culture and Education of the NKVD UkhtPechLag (Ukhta-Pechora Camp). It started to appear on 10.09.1931. It bears the stamp “Ne podlezhit rasprostraneniiu za predelami lageria” [“Not for Distribution outside the Camp”]. No.26 (211) of 07.05.1935 (a special edition) published order No.87 from G.G. Iagoda, the NKVD People’s Commissar , dated 17.04.1935. The order was entitled “O rabote Ukhta-Pechorskogo Ispravitel’nogo-Trudovogo lageria NKVD” [“On the Work of the NKVD Corrective Labour Camp Ukhta-Pechora”] and noted the lack of success in fulfilling the programme for most branches of production, and also “nedopustimye izvrashcheniia lagernogo rezhima: prenebrezhenie bytovymi usloviiami zakliuchennykh” [“Impermissible distortion of the camp regime: disregard for the everyday living conditions of the prisoners”]. A period of a month is given to rectify these faults. The paper also published an article by the managing director of the UkhtPechLag, Ia.M. Moroz, entitled “Kak vypolnit’ boevoi prikaz No 87 nashego Narkoma tov. Iagoda” [“How to carry out Order No.87 of our People’s Commissar, Comrade Iagoda”]. The newspaper ceased publication in the 2nd half of 1937. This sample is kept in the Museum of the History of Vodniy. It came from the archive of the “Progress” electrochemical factory in Ukhta, successor to the radium mine. (Photo 21.02.2007). 
 
 
 
 
Creator of collectionArchive of the “Progress” Factory.
 
Thematic indexState Power and Terror/
 
Thematic indexState Power and Terror/
 
Thematic indexThe Camps
 
Thematic indexLife in Captivity/
 
Thematic indexLife in Captivity/
 
Thematic indexLife in Captivity/
 
Date and place of creation07.05.1935, NKVD UkhtPechLag, Chib’iu Settlement (Komi Autonomous Republic (Zyrian) Chib’iu Settlement
 
MaterialsPaper
 
Materials
 
Description of exhibitSpecial Edition of the “Severnyi gorniak” [“Northern Miner”] newspaper, No. 26 (211) dated 07.05.1935, 4 pages. Produced in two colours – black and red, and printed on the press of the NKVD UkhtPechLag, with a print-run of 6,000. Executive Editor I.K. Danilovskii. On page 1 there is a portrait of G.G. Iagoda, People’s Commissar for Internal Affairs, and the text of Order No.87 dated 17.04.1935 “O rabote Ukhta-Pechorskogo Ispravitel’nogo-Trudovogo lageria NKVD” [“On the Work of the NKVD Corrective Labour Camp Ukhta-Pechora”].
 
State of preservationThe right-hand margin has been restored – the edge has a strip of paper glued onto it.
 
Detailed annotationThe “Severnyi gorniak” [“Northern Miner”] newspaper was the organ of the Department for Culture and Education of the NKVD UkhtPechLag. No.26 (211), dated 07.05.1935, was printed on the press of the NKVD UkhtPechLag with a print-run of 6,000. This Special Edition was devoted to Order No.87, dated 17.04.1935, issued by G.G. Iagoda, People’s Commissar for Internal Affairs in the USSR, “O rabote Ukhta-Pechorskogo Ispravitel’nogo-Trudovogo lageria NKVD” [“On the Work of the NKVD Corrective Labour Camp Ukhta-Pechora”]. This order noted the lack of success in fulfilling the programme “in almost all branches of production, especially in oil, radium and coal” and also “nedopustimye izvrashcheniia lagernogo rezhima: prenebrezhenie bytovymi usloviiami zakliuchennykh” [“Impermissible distortion of the camp regime: disregard for the everyday living conditions of the prisoners”], as well as irregularities in food provision. A period of a month is given to rectify all these faults. The article by Ia. M. Moroz is about “Kak vypolnit’ boevoi prikaz No 87 nashego Narkoma tov. Iagoda” [“How to carry out Order No.87 of our People’s Commissar, Comrade Iagoda”].The place where the newspaper was published is shown as Chib’iu, although in 1935 Chib’iu had the status of a settlement , right up to its re-naming as Ukhta Settlement in 1939. Ukhta was given the status of “town” only in 1943. This sample of the newspaper was given to the Museum from the archive of the “Progress” Factory, successor to the radium mine.
 
Web page?Yes
 
 
Museum exhibit /“Severnyi gorniak” [“Northern Miner”] newspaper. 1935. No.26 (211).