Museum exhibit /Gate hinge
A hinge from the camp gates. 1940s to 1950s. Camp section Piyarga of the PechorZhelDorLag (Pechora Railway Camp) (Komi ASSR). Found in July 2007 during a local history expedition in the region of the former camp (Piyarga Railway Station, at 2083km on the Northern Railway). It is kept in the Inta Local History Museum (Komi Republic) (Photo March, 2011). 
 
 
 
 
Registration number in museum acquisition book KP 4185/3
 
Date of acquisition12.11.2007
 
Years and places of existence in subject-related function1940s to 1950s. Camp section Piyarga of the PechorZhelDorLag (Pechora Railway Camp), Komi ASSR.
 
Size104 х 6 х 1,3 cm
 
Materials
 
Description of exhibitA hinge from a large gate. It is a forged strip, rounded on one side. It has six holes for nails, and five nails have been preserved. The nails are forged from bolts (the threads on the bolts are still there), and the ends of the nails have been bent over.
 
State of preservationRust, soiling.
 
Detailed annotationMetal hinge from camp gates. 1940s to 1950s. Camp section Piyarga of the PechorZhelDorLag (Pechora Railway Camp) (Komi ASSR). Found in July 2007 during a local history expedition in the region of the former camp (Piyarga Railway Station, at 2083km on the Northern Railway). It is kept in the Inta Local History Museum (Komi Republic) (Photo March, 2011). Piyarga Railway Station is 2083 km out on the Northern Railway. From the beginning of the 1940s, one of the camp sections of the PechorZhelDorLag was located here. The prisoners worked on the construction of the railway. In 1942, the Piyarga settlement was linked to the Abez’ Settlement Soviet. According to older residents, in the 1940s and 1950s in the region of km 2090 and 2091 there was a quarry from which they used to obtain crushed stone and shingle for the railway embankment. Alongside the railway next to the quarry stream were the living quarters of the camp zone and on the opposite side there was the camp sick-bay. After 1951 the camp was linked to the Pechora Railway Corrective Labour Camp. By 1952 this was an operative, large camp section.
 
Web page?Yes
 
 
Museum exhibit /Gate hinge