Museums /Museum of the History of the Vodnyi Settlement (branch of the Ukhta Local History Museum)
The Museum of the History of the Vodnyi Settlement (branch of the Ukhta Local History Museum)was founded in 1971 as a public museum of the history and battle reputation of the factory “Progress”. Since 1986 it bears its present name and is located in the House of Culture. The Museum portrays the history of the development of the radium mine in Vodnyi settlement, which was part of the Gulag from the moment of its emergence. The permanent exhibition presents materials on the development of the radium mine, camp life in Vodnyi settlement and the biography of prisoners who were qualified specialists and helped set up the radium mine (in the sections of the display entitled "Oni byli pervymi" [“They were the First”], "Istoriia khudozhestvennoi samodeiatel'nosti" [“The History of the Amateur Theatre”] et al.) Since 1989 the Museum has been organising an annual temporal exhibition on the theme "Uzniki kontslagerei" [“Prisoners of the Concentration Camps”] on the occasion of the Remembrance Days for Political Prisoners. The main source of the collection was the archive of the still operational factory “Progress”. Since the year 2000 materials from this archive have been arriving at the Museum, where they are catalogued according to topic. The biographical complex contains the personal files of around 2,500 people who used to work at the factory over the years, including many prisoners. The collections contains unique documents from the camps (relating to planning, regime and operations; accounts; reports; materials on the social competition between prisoners), samples of the camp press: the newspaper "Na vakhte" [ “On Guard”], the journal "Nedra Sovetskogo Severa" [“The Depths of the Soviet North”], the newspaper "Severnyi moriak" ["The Northern Miner”]. Among the most interesting exhibits are the materials of a census from 1937, the diaries of the geologists I.N. Strizhkov (1872–1953) and A.V. Kulevskii (1897–1944), an album with photos of theatre performances. In addition to that the Museum has received materials that were collected from the local population from members of the club "Poisk" [“Search”], which was affiliated to school No 14 between 1986–1996. Each year the Museum organises around 70 excursions, lectures and other educational activities. (Information correct in May 2010) 
 
 
 
 
NameMuseum of the History of the Vodnyi Settlement (branch of the Ukhta Local History Museum)
 
LocationKomi Republic/Ukhta region/
 
Address196336 Respublika Karelia, g. Ukhta, pos. Vodnyi, ul. Lenina, 16a
 
Status of museumMuseums//
 
SpecialisationMuseums//
 
Official contact detailsDirector: Ol'ga Leonidovna Gladkova. Vakhta DK (Tel. of the Museum): (+7 82147) 99386
 
Description of museumThe Museum of the History of the Vodnyi Settlement (branch of the Ukhta Local History Museum) was founded in 1971 as a public museum of the history and battle reputation of the factory “Progress”. Since 1986 it bears its present name and is located in the House of Culture, where it occupies a room of 78m2, which serves as both exhibition hall and storage facility for the collection. The Museum portrays the history of the development of the radium mine in Vodnyi settlement, which was part of the Gulag from the moment of its emergence (since 1929 as part of the Ukhta-Expedition of the OGPU, since 1931 part of the OGPU-Camp Ukhta-Pechora, since 1938 part of the OGPU-Camp Ukhta-Izhemsk) under the name OGPU-Mine Nr 2 (after 1938 – camp division No 10). In November 1931 the chemical factory No 1 was built, a unique enterprise and the only one in the world where radium was extracted from subterranean mineralised water. The permanent exhibition presents materials on the development of the radium mine, camp life in Vodnyi settlement and the biography of outstanding prisoners such as Ilya Isaakovich Ginzburg (1882–1965), the first director of the radiochemical laboratory, F.A. Toropov (1884–1953), the head production engineer of the radium mine et al. There are also sections on the history of the Gulag: "Oni byli pervymi" [“They were the First”], "Istoriia khudozhestvennoi samodeiatel'nosti" [“The History of the Amateur Theatre”] et al.) Since 1989 the Museum has been organising an annual temporal exhibition on the theme "Uzniki kontslagerei" [“Prisoners of the Concentration Camps”] on the occasion of the Remembrance Days for Political Prisoners. The main source of the collection was the archive of the still operational factory “Progress”. Since the year 2000 materials from this archive have been arriving at the Museum, where they are catalogued according to topic. The biographical complex contains the personal files of around 2,500 people who used to work at the factory over the years, including many prisoners. During collection and exhibition particular attention is paid to family dynasties. The collections contains unique documents from the camps (relating to planning, regime and operations; accounts; reports; materials on the social competition between prisoners), samples of the camp press: the newspaper "Na vakhte" [ “On Guard”] (publication of the culture and education department of the OGPU Mine No 2 of the NKVD camp Ukhta-Pechora), the journal "Nedra Sovetskogo Severa" [“The Depths of the Soviet North”] (monthly production- and technical journal of the Ukhta-Pechora Trust), the newspaper the newspaper "Severnyi gorniak" ["The Northern Miner”] (publication of the culture and education department of the NKVD camp Ukhta-Pechora). Among the most interesting exhibits are the materials of a census from 1937, the diaries of the geologists I.N. Strizhkov (1872–1953) and A.V. Kulevskii (1897–1944) and an album with photos of theatre performances. In addition to that the Museum has received materials that were collected from the local population from members of the club "Poisk" [“Search”], which was affiliated to school No 14 between 1986–1996. Each year the Museum organises around 70 excursions, lectures and other educational activities. The director of the Museum, O.L. Gladkova is interested in oral history and collects testimonies from the older inhabitants of the settlement Vis. An exhibition on political terror in the Soviet Union, seen through the history of families, is under preparation. This exhibition features materials from the time before 1949.
(Information correct in May 2010).
 
Related activities on the subjectThe director, O.L. Gladkova, holds lessons for younger school children on the premises of the Museum.
 
Beginning (year)1989
 
PersonsAntons Zoia Fedorovna, first director
 
PersonsGinzburg Il'ia Isaakovich, exhibits relating to him are on show
 
PersonsGladkova Ol'ga Leonidovna, present director
 
PersonsKulevskii Aleksandr Vasil'evich, exhibits relating to him are on show
 
PersonsStrizhov Ivan Nikolaevich, exhibits relating to him are on show
 
PersonsToropov Fedor Aleksandrovich, exhibits relating to him are on show
 
Web page?Yes
 
 
Museums /Museum of the History of the Vodnyi Settlement (branch of the Ukhta Local History Museum)