Museum exhibit /Gantry at Segezha Station. Photograph.
Photograph of the gantry at Segezha Station (Medvezhegorsk Region, Karelian Autonomous SSR). Taken in 1936. Photography of the construction of the Segezha Cellulose and Paper Combine and of the town of Segezha was undertaken by a special section of the photo-technical Pffice of the NKVD Belbaltlag (White Sea-Baltic Canal Camp); these images were used to produce inspection albums showing the chronology of the construction of Segezha. The photograph was given to the Segezha Municipal Museum Centre in 1985 by the Room of Military and Labour Glory of the Segezha Cellulose and Paper Combine as part of an album covering the years 1936-1938. 
 
 
 
 
Authenticity
 
Thematic indexThe Camps
 
Thematic indexThe Camps/
 
Thematic indexLife in Captivity/
 
Date and place of creation1936, Segezha Settlement. Medvezhegorsk Region, Autonomous Karelian Soviet Socialist Republic
 
Size8 х 11 cm
 
MaterialsPhotographic paper
 
Description of exhibitA black-and-white picture of an arch above the entrance to a bridge. In the background beyond the bridge one can see a settlement which consists primarily of single-storey buildings. Over the top beam of the arch is a large-scale inscription; “Segezhstroi” with letters in metal. Beneath the beam is a panel with an inscription in bright-coloured paint: “Long live the First of May!”. To the right of the inscription there is a large emblem: a picture of an intertwined hammer and sickle. Underneath the emblem and on the arch is a half-length portrait of a man (M.I. Kalinin). To the right of the inscription there are three flagpoles with flags on them.
 
State of preservationUndamaged
 
Detailed annotation“Gantry at Segezha Station” – a photograph from “Inspection Album with a Photographic Record of Segezhstroi No.1”, compiled in 1936 in Segezha Settlement, Medvezhegorsk Region, Autonomous Karelian SSR Photography of the construction of the Segezha Cellulose and Paper Combine and of the town of Segezha was undertaken by a special section of the Photo-technical Office of the NKVD Belbaltlag (White Sea – Baltic Canal Camp). The photographer is not known. The gantry (Segezha Construction Arch) was located near the former Segezha Railway Station in front of an entrance to a bridge across the river Segezha. In the album underneath the photograph there is an inscription that reads “No. 67/122. A Gantry at the Station”. (The number indicates the number of the negative; the place where the negative is kept is not shown). The photograph was given to the Museum by the Room of Military and Labour Glory of the Segezha Cellulose and Paper Combine in 1985 as part of an album. The Museum has the photograph on display with the caption “The Segestroi Arch”.
 
Web page?Yes
 
 
Museum exhibit /Gantry at Segezha Station. Photograph.