Museum exhibit /Spade used by the prisoner-construction workers of the White Sea - Baltic Canal Camp (BelBaltLag).
Spade – tool used by prisoners of the BelBaltLag (White Sea – Baltic Canal Camp) during the construction of the White Sea – Baltic Canal (1931-1933). Found in 2004 on the bottom of the canal, in the stretch between Locks 10 and 11, during repair-work. The spade is on show in the permanent exhibition of the Segezha Municipal Museum Centre. (Photo 10.08.2009). 
 
 
 
 
Authenticity
 
Types of exhibitsMuseum exhibits/Objects/
 
Thematic indexThe Camps
 
Thematic indexLife in Captivity/
 
Date and place of creation1930s. Medvezh'egorsk Region, Karelian Autonomous Soviet Soviet Socialist Republic.
 
Years and places of existence in subject-related functionThe White Sea – Baltic Canal, Locks Numbers 10 and 11 (Karelia Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic, later Karelia Republic.
 
SizeLength – 41 cm., width of the metallic section - 23 cm.
 
Materials
 
MaterialsWood
 
Description of exhibitSpade with the remains of a wooden handle. The shovel end is right-angled and on the upper part there is a brace for attaching a handle.
 
State of preservationDeformed/rusty.
 
Detailed annotationA spade brought up from the bottom of the White Sea – Baltic Canal in the stretch between Locks 10 and 11 in 2004, during during work for the temporary drainage of part of the canal for the repair and reinforcement of its containing-walls. Probably used by prisoners in the years when the Canal was being built (1931-1933). Given to the Segezha Municipal Museum by workers taking part in the repair of the Canal (the names of the workers are not given). Since 2004, it has been in the permanent exhibition Dva lika Osudarevoi dorogi” [“Two Faces of the Osudareva Road”] in the Segezha Municipal Museum Centre”.
 
Web page?Yes
 
 
Museum exhibit /Spade used by the prisoner-construction workers of the White Sea - Baltic Canal Camp (BelBaltLag).